Bendale Market Garden, Youth Engagement Facilitator
- Deadline for applications: May 2, 2011
FoodShare is looking for a Youth Engagement Facilitator at the Bendale Market Garden, a school-based market garden at Bendale Business and Technical School in Scarborough, Ontario (please see background section below for more details on the Market Garden). The position would be a contract position to support youth as they work and learn in the Market Garden. FoodShare would be open to the possibility of one candidate filling both the Farm Manager and the Youth Engagement Facilitator job positions.
Detailed job description:
- Oversee the daily operations of the Focus on Youth students, co-op students, and student volunteers: supporting them in doing the farm work and learning about food issues
- Conduct ongoing informal education throughout the work day (i.e. doing a lesson on how and why we save seeds while you are saving seeds)
- In July and August, conduct weekly workshops on a particular topic related to food justice/ food security and farming, this could include field trips offsite
- In May, June, September and October, work with the horticulture and culinary arts departments and FoodShare staff to coordinate educational programming
- Communicate with the Focus on Youth funder (reporting on the studentsí hours, giving feedback)
- Act as a spokesperson for the Market Garden and FoodShare in the community, with the school, and with the broader public
- Grow food in a mix-vegetable market garden
- Support running a Community Supported Agriculture program and markets
Qualifications and skills:
- Extensive experience and comfort working with youth doing experiential
learning programming and community development
- Background in farming/ gardening (preferably small-scale, organic, direct marketing: CSA and markets) and community food security/ food justice
- Exceptional people management skills (good at delegating tasks, helping people feel valued)
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Knowledge of the Dorset Park/ Scarborough community
- Willingness to do hard physical labour outside in all weather conditions
- Computer proficiency (ability to use excel spreadsheets for planning, write clear emails)
- Ability to speak multiple languages an asset
- Background in permaculture an asset
- Holding a valid Ontario Drivers License an asset
- Police check clearance neccessary (to be able to work with students)
Hours and Compensation:
- The Focus on Youth students are in the garden full time Monday through Friday (35 hours a week) from July 4 until August 19. The Youth Engagement Facilitator position is full time during this time. It is one day a week starting mid-May up until the end of June and then one-day a week at the end of August until the end of October.
- The Facilitator will be paid $14/ hour for 37.5 hours/ week during the Focus on Youth Program and 7.5 hours/ week in May, June, September, and October
- Mid-May until end of October. There may be a possibility for paid winter employment doing environmental educational programming. There would be a possibility for renewal of this position for 2012 growing season.
How to apply:
- Please email your resume and a cover letter to:
- Ian Hepburn-Aley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As mentioned above, if a candidate would like to combine the Farm Manager Position with the Youth Engagement Facilitator position, we would be open to discussing this as a possibility.
- If you are interested and have questions please call 416-363-6441 x241. Please do not contact Bendale BTI directly. Please note: this is a FoodShare job not a Toronto District School Board job.
Deadline for applications: Monday, May 2, 2011, 5pm