Community Garden Animator
- Deadline for applications: May 2, 2011
FoodShare Toronto is looking for a fulltime, passionate, community organizer with food project and/or neighbourhood-based organizing experience, in low income, diverse communities. This individual will work with communities of the Greater Toronto Area to increase food access primarily through community gardens, and work with other Toronto Community Food Animators who focus on Good Food Markets and Community Kitchen facilitation.
Detailed job description:
- Assisting community groups and organizations in all phases of new community garden implementation: group development, goal setting, organizational development, fundraising, resource acquisition, problem solving, etc.
- Assisting existing Community gardens to strengthen their organizational and community development.
- Working with all Community Animators to develop and coordinate ongoing networks and training in gardens, markets, and kitchens
- Organizing and delivering workshops, outreach and informational presentations
- Providing support to the Community Food Animators partners through attending regular Animator meetings, maintaining partner relationships, databases, preparing and distributing reports, attending and organizing special events and other commitments as required
- Participates in FoodShare staff and team meetings
- Completing related administrative duties and Community garden evaluations
- Supporting Toronto-wide urban agriculture networks
Qualifications and skills:
Minimum 2 years experience in food project and/or neighbourhood-based organizing experience in low income, diverse neighbourhoods.
- Experience in food growing
- Experience in outreach, leading workshops, and presentations
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge of and experience working with people of Toronto’s diverse communities
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team are equally important
- Basic proficiency in Excel, Word
- Have a valid Ontario Drivers License
- Some evenings and weekends required
- Second-language an asset
Hours and Compensation:
- 5 days a week, 37.5 hours,
- $36,000/year with benefits
- This is currently a short-tem contract, with potential for longer term employment, based on funding....
- May 15th – November 30th, 2011
How to apply:
- Please email your resume and cover letter to
- Angela ElzingaCheng at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (416) 363-0474.
Deadline for applications: Monday, May 2, 2011, 5pm