Jobs Postings 2014
Ecosource is seeking an
Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator
Full-time, 35hrs per week, March 2014 – May 2015
Who we are: Ecosource is an innovative environmental organization that empowers the community to become more environmentally responsible through creative public education. We specialize in hands-on programming that aims to increase environmental sustainability in Peel Region and beyond.
The position: Our gardens & agriculture team is growing! Ecosource is seeking an Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator to lead the Mississauga Sustainable Urban Agriculture Project. The Mississauga Sustainable Urban Agriculture Project is led by Ecosource in collaboration with the Eden Community Food Bank, supported by the University of Toronto Mississauga and the City of Mississauga. Through this program we are working to increase access to fresh healthy food and food growing education in our community. Ecosource is seeking an enthusiastic, innovative individual who enjoys a fast paced environment. You are knowledgeable about community food security and related issues and eager to lead this unique initiative in our community and explore new opportunities and social purpose enterprise models to support it!
Read More >>
Job Opportunity from the
Toronto Christian Resource Centre:
- Due Date: March 10th 2014
- Position: Community Gardens Coordinator
- Organization: CRC Community Food Centre
- Website: tcrc.ca
- Location: CRC at 40 Oak Street, Toronto, Ontario
- Type: Permanent, full-time
- Hours: 35 hours a week
- Supervisor: Community Food Centre Manager
- Salary: $41 500 annual salary, with eligibility for benefits after 3 months
CRC has been fulfilling its mission, “Building Lives. Creating Community. Together”, working in the Regent Park community since 1964. CRC has an exciting new partnership with Community Food Centres Canada to launch the CRC Community Food Centre, which will build on CRC’s deep roots in the community by expanding its community meal, cooking, gardening, and community engagement programs. The Community Gardens Coordinator will be a key member of this team – working to launch 2 new community gardens and providing leadership for the urban agriculture component of the CRC Community Food Centre. We are looking for someone with a unique mixture of experience with community work and group facilitation in diverse communities, and solid knowledge of organic food gardening. The ideal candidate is optimistic, energetic, creative, resourceful and patient, and is passionate about using food and gardening as a way to build community and inspire change.
Read More >>
Farm Manager position
Everdale is now accepting applications for the Farm Manager position at our farm in Hillsburgh, Ontario.
- Start Date: ~January 2014
- Application deadline: Dec. 20, 2013
- full time, permanent
- start date: flexible - January to February, 2014
- starting salary: $30,000-$35,000 depending on experience
- health benefits
- average 50 hours per week – fluctuates by season
- flexible vacation time and days off
- option to rent a farm house on site
To apply please send the following to Gavin Dandy firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter
- contact information for three references
- answers to the questions in the application package.
Everdale is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from people from all walks of life. Diversity makes the world a better place.
For more information and to apply - click here.
Application deadline: Dec. 20, 2013. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Gardener/Handyman for Private Residence in Central Toronto
A part-time, seasonal position is available for a gardener/handyman to maintain and enhance a large private garden and assist with maintenance of the interior of the residence.
Possible responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- lawn and flower-bed maintenance
- pruning, weeding and planting
- power-washing stonework, garden furniture maintenance
- chauffeur/car jockey
- car washing
- basic household repairs
- Approx 20 hr/week, hours and days on site to be mutually agreed. Position runs annually from April - November. Immediate start date.
- Hourly salary commensurate with experience
- Police check, drivers abstract and signature of a confidentiality agreement are required
- Horticulturist Trade Certification or Landscape Gardener Trade Certification preferred
- Gardening experience necessary
To apply please email email@example.com
Fresh City Farms - Job Opportunities - 2013
Are you passionate about local, sustain-ably grown food and a healthy lifestyle? We are looking for enthusiastic instructors to lead a series of CANNING WORKSHOPS in partnership with Fresh City. The mission of these workshops is to empower people with the skills they need to try some canning in their own home and enjoy a bounty of fresh, local food all year long.
We collectively farm over four acres on sites all over the Toronto area. Our home base is at Downsview Park, which is located in the geographical centre of the Greater Toronto Area. For more information about us please visit www.FreshCityFarms.com and www.Facebook.com/FreshCityFarms.
What we believe
- We believe in the intimate connection between people, land and food.
- We value artisan skills and quality production.
- We conduct ourselves with integrity and embrace diversity.
- We are innovative and entrepreneurial.
- We believe that change is possible. Seriously.
If you believe that too, and would like to partner with us to teach people about home canning at various locations in the local community, please read on.
Riverdale Immigrant Women's Centre
Riverdale Immigrant Women's Centre (RIWC) is seeking a part-time Garden Animator with extensive gardening experience and training experience for the Women in the Garden project. This individual will focus on building basic skills and providing hands-on garden training for marginalized immigrant women, including seniors, in Little India.
The Garden Animator will be involved in a year-long training project that is designed to increase confidence, knowledge, and skills on how to garden. Gardening will be introduced as a fun, low-impact physical activity for women who are not currently engaged in recreation activities.
This position will run twice per week -
from July 2013 to November 2013, and April 2014 to May 2014.
Read More >>
- Ujamaa Farm - Field Coordinator
- Deadline for Applications: July 19, 2013 at 5pm
About Afri-Can FoodBasket
Afri-Can FoodBasket is a non-profit organization promoting the sustainable development of Black Creek Community Farm by nurturing a new generation of young leaders. We work towards this goal by creating opportunities for the youth of North-West Toronto to expand their knowledge base, develop new skills and positively engage with their community through the operation of a socially responsible urban farming enterprise.
Ujamaa Farm Field Coordinator Job Description
The Urban Farm Field Coordinator will join Afri-Can FoodBasket staff, Ujamaa Farmers, volunteers, and community members in facilitating our Ujamaa Farm Collective (UFC) Program. In this program, the Field Coordinator will be employed to grow food, and is introduced to urban agriculture, social enterprise, and the intersections of food, health, and social justice. The Afri-Can FoodBasket is looking for a dependable, energetic and creative person who can help provide a supportive, enriching experience in urban farming to our Ujamaa Farmers, youth and community volunteers.
- Hours: 24 hours/week. Flexible schedule according to farmers’ and volunteers’ needs. Evening or weekend work may be required.
- Salary: $18/ hour
- Employment Period: July 22 to November 1, 2013 – possibility of extension contingent on funding
Read More >>
My Edible Garden
With a unique combination of educated and creative landscaping techniques, My Edible Garden specializes in custom design and installation of unique garden beds, raised planter boxes, and garden structures. We provide one-on-one garden coaching, maintenance packages, rain water harvesting and irrigation, and customized planting guides.
Like any good garden we are growing, and in need of a Communications Intern. Be an integral part of helping My Edible Garden thrive!
- Location: Work from home and on-site
- Time Commitment: Based on opportunities (guaranteed 5 hours/week starting)
- Application Deadline: Monday July 15, 2013.
- Update and maintain website and blog
- Research gardening resources and related topics
- Network and connect with like-minded groups and communities
- Manage and maintain client database
- Write and distribute bi-weekly E-Newsletter
- Event planning and coordination
Read More >>
Job Posting - Gardener - Toronto 2013
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Hours: 3 days/week minimum
- Remuneration: Amount to be discussed, based on previous experience
The owner of a large private residence in mid-town Toronto is seeking a qualified candidate to care for and maintain a large garden.
This position is suited to a meticulous worker who is passionate about gardens and who takes great pride in their beauty and maintenance. The successful applicant will hold a graduate degree or diploma in horticultural studies, and will have hands-on planting experience and an extensive knowledge of plant material.
- Knowledge of and experience with vegetable gardens is also an asset.
Read More >>
CRC - Toronto Christian Resource Centre
Position: CRC Community Gardens Facilitator
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Organization: CRC www.tcrc.ca
The CRC is located in Regent Park. Our housing and food programs provide a welcoming place where people work together effectively to meet their basic needs, achieve personal growth and help create an inclusive and cohesive community. Our mission is “Building Lives. Creating Community. Together.” Our new building at 40 Oaks features 87 units of affordable housing and a 10,000 square foot community hub where people can gather to share a meal and participate in activities geared to their needs. The CRC coordinates 3 community allotment gardens in Regent Park, and is an active member of the Regent Park Food Partnership.
- Contract position: May 21 - Aug 30 2013, 24 hrs/wk
- Sept 3 - Oct 18 2013, 10 hrs/wk
- Some evening hours may be required
- Accountability: Community Food Centre Manager
Read More >>
Sustainable Business Opportunity
with Garden Jane
The Cutting Veg
Cultivating personal, social, environmental, and economic health through organic agriculture
- Compensation: Learning these skills, and some fresh produce
- Availability: 1-2 days per week,
- Starting Date: beginning of March, 2013
- Location: Cutting Veg Organic Farm, located in Sutton, Ontario,
- AND Garden Janes's place in High Park
Garden Jane and The Cutting Veg have teamed up to offer an exciting, new Joint Internship Program. The internship program is targeted to those who want to deepen their community development and gardening skills, as well as their coaching skills. Ideally some of our interns have an interest in joining our team in a paid capacity as an Associate Garden Coach in future as well. Currently, we are working with The Daniels Corporation to integrate community gardens into many of their condos across the GTA. Our role is to help get the gardens up and running, and help the Gardening Committees learn to manage the garden. Engaging with these gardens and their communities will be a core component of this year's internship.
Read More >>
The Stop Community Food Centre
The Stop CFC - Community Garden Assistant
- Salary: $14.87/hour
- Start date: March 11, 2013
- Deadline: Friday, February 8, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
The Stop began over 30 years ago as one of North America’s first food banks, and has grown into a vibrant community centre, using food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto’s lowest-income neighbourhoods. The Stop’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community and challenges inequality.
Read More >>
- INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
- Role: Urban Farm Intern
- Type: part-time unpaid internship with honorarium (see below)
- Organization: Sage Rising
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Report to: Caitlin Langlois Greenham, Jessica Lemieux
- Period: April 1 -- June 1 with the opportunity to explore engagement throughout the remainder of growing season
- Hours: 8-16 hours/ week flexible
- Remuneration: Honorarium (amount to be discussed), skill and knowledge building
Overview of organization:
Sage Rising, founded in 2012, is an urban farm business that grows organic herbs in backyards and creates hand-crafted herbal products in downtown Toronto. We are two organic herb farmers always seeking to learn more, share our harvests, strengthen our community ties, and build the urban farming movement.
We are seeking an intern who is interested in learning, growing and working with us to develop our emerging farm and business. The successful candidate will be a skilled collaborative worker who can run with ideas as needed and has a passion for food and farming. We are happy to explore how this opportunity can best support your needs and interests.
Roles and responsibilities:
- • Assist with early season farm preparation, planting and maintenance
- • Assist in outreach and communications as needed
- • Contribute ideas to business development and herbal learning
Please send us a cover letter and resume indicating why you're interested in joining us!
Please send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Thumbs Growing Kids
- Position: Urban Gardening Program Leader, Urban Roots Youth Program
- Organization: Green Thumbs Growing Kids
- Location: Toronto
- Deadline for applications: Friday Feb. 1, 5 pm.
- Part-time contract
- Wage: Hourly $18.50, contract position
- Starting Date: February 18, 2013
- Reports to Program Director/Volunteer Co-ordinator, Green Thumbs Growing Kids
Read More >>
Children’s Garden and Exploring Toronto Programs
Five Jobs for 2013
- All Locations: High Park
- and other locations across Toronto
- Deadline: January 21st , 2013
For other jobs postings with the City of Toronto, visit